+56978897565 / +56224709721
Daniel Weinstein has broad experience in the mining sector, where he has led important transactions related to the mining industry, including procurement and supply chain contracts. He has also led relevant acquisitions, financings, and alliances between mining companies in Chile and other countries in Latin America. His practice also focuses on the development of infrastructure projects, as well as on engineering and construction matters.
Daniel began his career working in renowned law firms in Chile and abroad (2004 – 2013), later going on to lead the legal departments of prestigious companies, as Head of Legal for Chile and Peru at SNC-Lavalin (2013 -2014); General Counsel at Quantum Pacific Exploration (2014-2017); and Legal Manager of BHP (2017-2021). In the latter company, he led the legal teams responsible for Exploration globally, for the Projects, Supply, Contracts, Procurement and Commercial areas of the Minerals Americas division, and for the Potash business unit.
In recent years, he has led mining-related transactions for US $20+ billion, including engineering and construction contracts, procurement and supply agreements, joint ventures, and strategic alliances, with experience across five continents.
Daniel has been a director of mining companies. Since 2022, he is a member of the Expert Panel of the Arbitration and Mediation Center of the Mining Chamber of Chile.
“He is a very practical lawyer that always comes up with creative solutions to unlock negotiations and successfully execute the transaction”
“Weinstein has been for many years one of the most active lawyers in the mining exploration sector in Chile”.
- To a mining company with an international presence, leading the negotiations of contracts worth US$ 4.5+ billion, for a copper project located in northern Chile, actively supporting the administration of such contracts and the resolution of claims submitted by contractors. These contracts include:
- An EPC for the construction of a concentrator with a capacity of 95,000 ktdp.
- A BOOT for the construction, water supply, and operation of a desalination plant.
- A contract for the construction of a tailings dam and auxiliary services.
- A contract for the financing, construction, and operation of a port facility.
- To an international mining exploration company, leading the drafting and negotiation of a strategic alliance and joint venture with a Canadian mining company, for the exploration of copper deposits in northern Chile, in areas of both companies, with a budget of US $150 million, being the largest greenfield exploration contract in the history of Chile.
- To a mining company with an international presence, in the negotiation of contracts and in the construction stage of three desalination plants in northern Chile, both owned and outsourced, for a combined total of US $5+ billion.
- To a Canadian mining company, drafting and negotiating a mining option and joint venture agreement for the exploration and acquisition of mining concessions in northern Chile, for 303,000+ hectares.
- To a mining company with an international presence, creating the legal strategy and directing the negotiations of a set of contracts to acquire trucks and other mobile equipment for its mines, for a total of approximately US $3 billion.
- To a mining company with an international presence, in the structuring and negotiation of various mining contracts, including farm ins, joint ventures and strategic alliances, in Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Mexico, United States, Canada and Australia, among other countries.
- To several mining companies, in the design of their strategy to protect their activities in Chile and other Latin American countries, monitoring the regulations and issues that may affect them, proactively developing solutions to protect their investments.
- To an engineering and construction company, in the preparation and negotiation of two EPC contracts for US $25 million and US $75 million, for the construction of energy facilities in Chile.
- To an international mining exploration company, leading the negotiations of an agreement with a leading Chilean financial institution, to co-finance a mining exploration program in certain areas of northern Chile, with a budget of US $16 million for the first 2 years, including financing from Fénix Funds (CORFO).
- To mining companies and contractors, in the negotiations of contracts related to innovation, from new technologies to handle tailings, to alliances with artificial intelligence companies to apply cutting-edge technologies to mining exploration.
- To an international mining company, in various legal aspects related to the construction of the largest potash mine in the world, in Canada, with a value of US $ 5.7 billion.
- To several major and junior mining companies, in the drafting and negotiation of dozens of mining exploration contracts with other companies, including mining option contracts, earn ins, joint ventures and strategic alliances, for a combined total of more than 2 million hectares.
- To major and junior mining companies, supporting them in their expansion plans, advising on the entry to new countries in different continents, designing different contractual models and corporate structures, to decrease the risks of entering into deals in countries lacking a mature legal framework.
- To various owners and contractors, in the negotiation and resolution of claims for a combined total of more than US $600 million.
- Recognized for 3 consecutive years in The Legal 500 GC Powerlist among the most influential in-house lawyers in Chile (2017, 2018 and 2019).
- Award as a member of the best legal team in Latin America, awarded by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (2019).
- LL.M. Award for Integration and Inclusion, to the student showing the most leadership, awarded by the University of Chicago (2010).
- Beca Chile, scholarship for graduate studies abroad, awarded by the Government of Chile (2009).
- Member of the Owner-Contractor working group of the Chilean Chamber of Construction, leading the work stream on collaborative contracts (2022-Present).
- Member of the Expert Panel of the Arbitration and Mediation Center of the Mining Chamber of Chile (2022-Present).
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Institute of International Mining and Oil & Gas Law, Development, and Investment, organized by the Foundation for Natural Resources and Energy Law (previously called The Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation) (2020- Present).
- Member of the Mining Committee of the Institute of International Mining and Oil & Gas Law, Development, and Investment, organized by the Foundation for Natural Resources and Energy Law (2018 – 2019).
- Advanced Techniques for Dispute Avoidance certification, by the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (2022).
- Intensive Program for Directors, by the Adolfo Ibáñez University (2022)
- DRB Administration and Practice, by the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (2022).
- Professional Certificate in ESG and social responsibility in the natural resources sector, by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (2021).
- Professional certificate of Legal Project Manager, by the Australian Institute of Project Management (2020).
- Contracts, Procurement, and Supply Chain.
- Engineering and Construction.
- Complex negotiations.
- Advanced Management Program (AMP), ESE Business School (2019).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Chicago (2010).
- Bachelor of Laws, Universidad de Chile (Summa Cum Laude, 2001).